IMG_20180516_141704-01
IMG_20180516_141704-01

press to zoom
IMG_20180516_141809-01
IMG_20180516_141809-01

press to zoom
DSC01477-01
DSC01477-01

press to zoom
IMG_20180516_141704-01
IMG_20180516_141704-01

press to zoom
1/9

PROJECT 2

The only objective of this assignment was to follow the prompt "magic light". I enjoyed this assignment because light is something I have been exploring for years through photography. When I was out shooting, I tried to find interesting lighting situations. I took my camera off campus and while driving around and found interesting spots to take photos. Driving on Cornel Rd., I stopped by one of the tunnels, that has space for trail parking next to it. Getting a proper exposure was difficult, because the tunnel is dark inside, and there was nowhere to prop my camera up to take a stable photo. A few of the photos came out clear, but in hindsight, I wish I had taken photos of the tunnel at different angles since the tunnel has more to offer when looked at closer. I also drove up to Skyline Burgers, which is near my house. Parked in front was an old Porsche Targa and a convertible vintage Thunderbird, both in good condition. I really liked the aesthetic the cars provided, in combination with the diner style restaurant. I explored "magic light" through the reflections on the cars. 

 

While I did explore magic light while shooting, I did most of my light experiments in post. While making prints, I came up with the idea of putting a magnifying glass over my photo paper, because the light distortion created an interesting artificial looking effect. I experimented with multiple exposures while printing, and eventually, I decided to print out graphic designs, and print them onto clear plastic sheets. When put directly on the photo paper, the print came out with the graphic design stencilled on. It took multiple tries to get the printing process right. In the beginning, I started out by writing with a sharpie onto some clear film, which gave my prints a hand-drawn look. Then when I tried printing designs onto plastic sheets, the ink did not dry correctly. Once I was able to print onto the plastic sheets, I realised the sheets show up with a rectangular shadow on the print, so I had to make sure my designs could be cut perfectly at 5x7". This was my most productive project in terms of printing since I learned a new technique that will allow me to do more complicated prints in the future; I also took the time to make well adjusted prints that have a better dynamic range. 

2